The purpose of this tutorial is to help you get started when you are transferring your domain from NameCheap.com to Webscreations as your domain registrar. There are several things that must take place before you can begin to transfer your domain name. Once they are done, you can begin the domain name transfer at the home web site for the new domain name registrar where you want your domain name transferred to. This tutorial assumes that you have a domain already registered with NameCheap.com, and we are going to start on their home page.
- The first thing you must do is make sure the domain name is not locked, which would prevent it from being transferred out of the current registry.
- Begin by entering your NameCheap.com account username and password in the boxes. Now click on the login button.
- You are now logged in to your NameCheap.com account. Click on the word view after "Number of domains in your account" to see a list of domain names in your account.
- This opens a screen with all your domains. Click the domain name you want to remove the registry lock on. This takes you to a Modify page for this domain name. On the left hand side, click on the Registar Lock link.
- The next page will show you if the domain is locked or not. If the name is locked, click in the radio button in front of the sentence "Release the registrar lock so that the domain can be transferred to some other registrar." Then click on the Save Changes button.
- The lock has now been removed from the domain name, so it can now be transferred to another domain registry.
There are several other things that need to be done while you are logged in to your account. You should verify that your Contact Info is correct and up-to-date both at the current registry and the Who-Is. You also should obtain, most likely by email, what is called the EPP code, or the KEY Code, the Authorization Code, or it may be called a different name. It is the authorization code that allows the registries to permit the transfer of your domain name. This code needs to be given to your new domain registrar to begin the transfer process. When finished, click the log out button in the upper right corner.
You are now ready to visit our web site or contact us to initiate the domain transfer request. This ends this tutorial. You now know how to unlock your domain at its current registrar, if the registrar is NameCheap.com, so that it can be transferred to another domain registry.